Monday, April 29, 2019

Stadium #44

Who knew that I still had a blogspot account?  Been quite awhile since I used it but I wanted to post my thoughts on the latest MLB stadium I visited and this seemed like the only good spot.

Last week while on a business trip to the Pacific Northwest it just so happened that I could be in Seattle on the day my Rangers were playing the Mariners at T Mobile stadium.  One of only three current stadiums I had not been to.  I really had no choice but to go.

So, my buddy Ben who is a much bigger Mariner fan than I thought he was wanted to come with and we got a couple pretty great seats.  We got to the game about 30 minutes before game time.  We parked a little ways away but despite Ben warning me that downtown Seattle is a bit of a hell hole, I really enjoyed checking it out.  Plus we didn’t see a lot of what he had described so that was good.

It was a bit chilly (mid 50’s) and all I brought was a light jacket.  I figured they’d shut the roof to keep me warm but Ben informed me they only shut it when it rains.  (Read that again and try not to have that tune by Garbage going through your head at the same time.). I wasn’t expecting it to be cold and it was a bit overcast, plus the stadium was darn near empty.



The stadium was nicer than I thought it would be and it had some really cool food choices.  We were sitting next to a Mariners hall of Fame thing that was pretty cool.

OK, now to Bob’s patented scoring system:  Each category is scored 1-10 with 10 being the best.  All scores are final and may not be protested.

T-Mobile Stadium:
Overall Coolness - 8
Basic Stats - 9 (they featured OPS prominently which I dug.  You could almost argue it was overstatted, which is a positive to me)
out of town scoreboard- 0 - I don’t remember seeing it probably because I was watching my team and never thought to look for it
hot dogs - 8 - I thought it was really good, maybe because I hadn’t eaten since breakfast but I dug it
sovenier cups - 3 - good sturdy cup that will hold up well to a lot of use but just had the lame logo on it and it was $12!  (It was unlimited refills but since I didn’t buy it until the 7th inning and we left in the 8th, it didn’t do me much good)


home run celebration - 2 - it was probably really cool to see the fireworks over the train thing but since they hit way too many en route to crushing the Rangers 14-2, it annoyed me so huge deductions for that
7th inning stretches - 9 - Take me Out to the Ballgame they did Louie Louie by the Kingsman from Seattle.  I thought that was really cool
other stuff - 2 - it was cold, dreary and empty plus did I mention the Rangers lost 14-2.  They do get two points because it made me happy to see the 2001 division champions banner with the note that they won 116 games.  The reason it made me happy was hearing Mariner fans complain about how that team didn’t even make the World Series.  Yup, I realized I don’t like this rival AL west team.

Total score - 41

Two more to go - St. Louis and Atlanta I’m coming for you!


No comments: